This recipe is from Nigella Lawson's new book, Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home. My Parents gave Daniel and I this book for Christmas, and we are just in love with all the recipes. So tonight i am going to try my hand at the first one which is Cheesy Chili. Even though i have had the day off work, i just want some quick and easy to cook for dinner tonight mainly because we are desperately need to do a food shop, so with the ingredients i have on hand i can mange to cook this.
Nigella describes it as "easy, quick and comforting"
110g chorizo, cut into fat coins and halved
500g beef mince
1/2 teaspoon coca powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 x 15ml tablespoon tomato paste
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
125ml water, swilled from empty tomato can
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 X 400g can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 X 125g fresh mozzarella cheese balls, chopped ( I only have a pack of 500g grated mozzarella, so i just going to use half of this)
seas salt f;ales and pepper, to taste
handful chopped fresh coriander, to serve
- Put a cast-iron casserole or heavy-based pan (needs to have a lid) on the heat and add the chorizo, Nigella says that you need to cook them long enough for the orange oil to appear
- Add the mince (make sure you break it up with a wooden fork)
- When the meat begun to loose it raw colour, sprinkle with cocoa and oregano, dollop in the puree and give a good stir before adding the canned tomatoes. Swill the empty can out with 125ml water, and empty that in turn into the pan, followed by the Worcestershire sauce and drained, add the rinsed kidney bean, then let it come to the boil
- turn the head down, put the lid on and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid, and let it come to the boil again, then turn off the heat and stir in the mozzarella. stir and serve immediately.
Nigella goes on to give you tips on how long it will freeze and way to use leftovers.
Result: Daniel and I both loved this. Daniel added some extra chili (after it was served) as it is piquant rather than fiery hot, which makes it perfect for me.